Dr. Jeff Bland was one of the earliest authorities to write about nutrition and genetics. Bland was writing on the topic years before the first draft of the human genome sequence was released.
He is worldwide acknowledged as the founder of the Functional Medicine movement. His pioneering work has created the Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute (PLMI) as well as the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM).
Jeff is the author of best-selling books and over 120 peer-reviewed research publications. He speaks extensively, and his unique and engaging style makes him popular with both professional and consumer audiences. Dr. Bland’s latest project is Big Bold Health, where he’s on a mission to transform the way people think about one of nature’s greatest innovations—the immune system.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Jeff’s beginnings and his out-of-the-box thinking that led him to start the functional medicine movement
- How PLMI incubates ideas that refresh IFM
- 3 Ways that the outside world directly interfaces with our body and inside functions
- What makes the functional medicine practitioner community so unique
- Advice for practitioners to get their message out into the open
- How genes allow us to explore the potential greatness within every human being
- The goodness of genes and how they can free us out from ethnic bias and race
- How disease categories and labels can create separation and lack of understanding