The Heavy Chef Foundation, South Africa’s prolific education company that specializes in creating learning experiences for entrepreneurs, announced the names of The Top 5 Most Exciting Startups in South Africa at an awards ceremony at Workshop 17 as part of Cape Town Startup Week 2019.
Previous winners include Yoco, SweepSouth, Wala, Zoona, Jumo (2017) and Aerobotics, DataProphet, LifeCheq, LifeQ, Thursdays (2018).
“This award is meant to cast a celebratory light on the sector as a whole, as well as give an insight into the breadth, depth and ‘good news stories’ of what’s happening.”
The Top 5 winners were selected from a shortlist of 12 startups, drawn from over 600 nominations. The twelve companies had been chosen after entries closed in November and a panel of six judges selected the final top 5.
“We don’t take into account revenue targets and pitch decks, market size or investment. From past results, we’ve seen that the winners generally are the ones who have generated the most amount of buzz and excitement in investment circles,” said Louis Janse van Rensburg, chairperson of the Heavy Chef Foundation.
The Top 5 Most Exciting Startups in South Africa are:
- 3X4 Genetics is a health company that combines advanced genetic testing, nutrigenomic education and a global network of accredited practitioners to help people make better daily choices to live longer, healthier lives.
- DigsConnect is South Africa’s largest student accommodation marketplace.
- LULA connects corporate commuters to private shuttles on their way to work, offering an affordable, convenient and productive way to get to work to workers as well as to companies who need to get their staff to and fro.
- Mama Money is a money-transfer service that provides a modern, safe and low-cost way for foreign nationals to make international payments.
- MyFanPark allows customers to get a personalized video from your favorite celebrity, all through an online platform.
3X4’s audacious goal it’s to help 10 million consumers achieve human health potential by giving them the opportunity to listen to their genes,”Jason Haddock, CEO and co-founder of 3X4 Genetics.
“Our genes hold the answers to how each of us can live to our full health potential. If we really understood ourselves and our genes, we can understand the implications of every decision we make.” said Dr Yael Joffe, CSO and co-founder of 3X4 Genetics.
Congratulations to all the other inspiring companies that made the Top 5 Most Exciting Startups in South Africa shortlist!